Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Something Old, Something New considers 2006

The Drones - made my favourite album and live list for 2006


Well another year has started, and by all accounts it should be a great one for indie/alternative music.

2007 has started on a high with my first gig of the year last night - Modest Mouse at The Tivoli. What a great gig!! I'm still buzzing from it!! And with Johnny Marr (better known from his days in The Smiths) now also playing guitar in the band (I last saw Johnny touring with The The) it was great to see this legend still doing it.

Plus new album releases are expected in 2007 from such great bands as The Pixies, Grinderman (starring Nick Cave), The Shins, Modest Mouse, Explosions In The Sky and many more.


But that is 2007 and I really want to dwell on some of my favourite musical moments of 2006, so here goes:-


I don’t agree with the concept of “scoring” bands, albums or songs as “best, second best …” or “number 1, number 2 …” like they are contestants or sporting teams.

Also my preferences will change over time, situation and point of reference and I know that every time I reconsider such a list, that I will have to add another different moment or two (and as such remove some from the existing list).

But I do have favourites for the year that have particularly taken my attention or that I have enjoyed playing repeatedly.

So here are some of my (as of this moment) favourites for 2006.

As usual, don't forget to check out the artist's web sites for mp3s and the latest information on the bands.


If you are interested in my thoughts on 2005, you will find them here.


Something Old, Something New’s 15 Favourite Albums of 2006 (listed in alphabetical order):-

Augie March - Moo You Bloody Choir

Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out Of This Country

The Drones - Gala Mill

The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics

The Fratellis - Costello Music

The Lemonheads - The Lemonheads

Midlake - The Trials Of Van Occupanther

Mogwai - Mr Beast

Grant Lee Phillips - nineteeneighties

Radio Birdman - Zeno Beach

Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped

Sparklehorse - Dreamt For Light Years In The Belly Of A Mountain

TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain

Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass

Thom Yorke - The Eraser


Special mention also goes to The Triffids - Born Sandy Devotional remastered album with bonus unreleased, demo tracks.


Something Old, Something New’s 10 Favourite Live Musical Events of 2006 listed in chronological order:-

Mark Of Cain @ The Amplifier Bar, Perth - January 2006
The first gig of the year and quite possibly my gig of the year! The testosterone was thick in the air as The Mark Of Cain took their 'Rock Against Apathy' tour to destroy the country.

The Volcanics and M-16’s @ The Amplifier Bar, Perth - January 2006
It's always great to get home and see my two favourite Perth bands rocking out together and to drink too many beers with my old buddies

Damo Suzuki @ The Zoo, Brisbane - February 2006
It's also fun to see a legend in action

The Baddies and Megastar Overdrive and @ The Empire Hotel, Sydney - February 2006
Similarly, it's just as good to get down to Sydney and see an old mate rocking out in not one, but two great punk bands - a drunken, twisted night

David Pajo @ The Troubador, Brisbane - March 2006
One man, a guitar and some bells - a gentle, fun evening

The Drones @ The Zoo, Brisbane - March 2006
My other possible favourite gig for 2006

Sigur Ros @ The Tivoli, Brisbane - April 2006
Spellbinding

Liquid Architecture @ The Powerhouse, Brisbane - June/July 2006
An eclectic collection of experimental artists

Ramone-a-thon @ The Columbian Bar, Brisbane - November 2006
Hey Ho - Let's Go!!

The Room 40 “SYNCRETISM” events @ The Judith Wright Centre, Brisbane - throughout 2006
Another interesting year of experimental music presented by the hard working Lawrence English


Something Old, Something New’s 5 Favourite Music books read in (not necessarily published in) 2006:-

Simon Reynolds - Rip It Up And Start Again: postpunk 1978-1984
An excellent history of the post punk years

Andrew Stafford - Pig City: from the saints to savage garden
Discusses the history of the musical, political and cultural consciousness of the city I currently call home

Adam Sweeting - Cover Versions: Singing Other People's Songs
I love cover versions (as you can probably tell by much of the music posted) and that is all which is discussed here

Jon Savage - England's Dreaming: Sex Pistols and Punk Rock
Wanna know about punk and the Sex Pistols? Read this critical and definitive book!

Clinton Walker - Stranded: The Secret History of Australian Independent Music 1977-1991
Wanna know about the history of the most important music to come out of Australia and which helped to define the Australian (and dare I say international) music scene, then read this book!


Happy 2007 to everyone!!


Do you like these tunes? Then why not support the artists (and my blogging habit) by buying some music. Check out the links above or for some good compilation albums check out these links:-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home