Monday, January 02, 2006

The Manikins
(Bands from Perth, Australia)

The Manikins


The Manikins were the first punk band I ever saw, probably in 1980 in a city full of cover bands, at a seedy little club called Adrians which was above the less than salubrious James St in Northbridge.

The Manikins were another short lived Perth punk-pop band, who were direct descendents of The Cheap Nasties - one of Australia's first punk bands originally formed by Kim Salmon.

When The Cheap Nasties broke up in December 1977, Salmon went on to create The Scientists, while most of the remainder of The Cheap Nasties went on to form The Manikins.

The Manikins formed in 1978 and consisted of Neil Fernandez (guitar); Ken Seymour (bass guitar); Mark Betts (drums) and Robert Porritt (vocals). They were later joined by Dave Flick (later known as Dave Faulkner who had previously formed The Victims and would go on to form the Hoodoo Gurus.

"The Manikins" have recently released a CD on Two Tribes Records which was recorded live in the studio in 1979 – buy it here.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A blast from my past, first the Stems who I saw many times in the eighties (and a couple of their reunions shows in the late nineties) and now the Mannikins, caught them once in 1980 and the next time in 1995 with the original line up plus the original Scientists on the same bill.

What is next? my other favourite Perth bands from the eighties, the Triffids, the Kryptonics and the Bamboos.

Thanks for the reviving memories.

Mon Jan 02, 08:35:00 pm  
Blogger Michael said...

hey Nick

glad you liked the posts

was the Manikins/Scientists gig the one on the roof at the Grosvenor? sadly i was out of town for that gig

hopefully there'll be some more blasts from the past

Tue Jan 03, 05:49:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that was the gig the one and only on the roof of the Grosvenor. Very hot night in January if my memory serves me. It was damn good gig.

Wed Jan 04, 12:56:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just spoke to Ken Seymour (Bass) this past weekend for my book on Perth bands book '76-'06. He said they spent some decent money getting that 1995 re-union show professionally recorded, so hopefully Neil will release this as he did the Australian cd of the Italian Backstreet record. Also Neil, Dom Mariani and Howard Shawcross (The Elks, Riptides, Dave Warner, The Jackals, etc...) recently recorded a cover version of the Manikins "I never thought I could Find someone who could be so kind" for the Freshwater label (The label that did the re-issue of the Manikins 7", Stems 2x 7", etc...).

Gavin

Tue Mar 07, 02:05:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HELLO! I`m from Norway (born in 1973) I have tried to contact Hoodoo Gurus since I became a fan in 1987. I was a Bangles-fan. I soon found that I could find information on what happened with Michael and Brad (Michael is a girl) when they were an item. It`s a lot of details in a lot of songs. I don`t know what actually happened, please help me...

Thu Mar 08, 12:44:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi great site,come across it by chance.I lived in perth in the early 80S decade my fave bands were the Rockets and Dom Mariani's Gostarts,any info on these 2 bands greatly appreaciated.Anthony now back in perth 2007.

Tue Oct 02, 01:11:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Victims
The Mannikins
Hernandos Hideaway??
- unforgetable nights and years

Lived Perth 1977-1980

R.H - England

Wed Oct 03, 12:41:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home