Saturday, August 06, 2005

Sigur Rós

sigur ros - takk

We saw Sigur Rós on Friday night and were mesmerized for most of the performance, which was a good mix of something old from their 3 earlier albums von, ágætis byrjun and () and something new from the new album Takk.

If I was to make a list of my favourite live shows ever, this one is right up there. The music was beautiful and haunting, the lighting was magical and the projected images only added to the moment. The band play with such intensity, not acknowledging the audience, but allowing the music to speak for itself, and the girls of Icelandic string quartet Amina were also frequently involved in the performance, their strings melding beautifully with Jónsi's bowed Gibson Les Paul.

Takk is yet to be officially released, even the first single glósóli, which will be released through download only, doesn't come out until August 15th. But Takk is already out there, digitised and posted.

My curiosity grew too strong, especially considering that I stumbled across a copy of it on the night before the gig. Yes ... litle demon Me jumped up on my left shoulder and shouted "Woo Hoo - Download it NOW!!" - little angel Me then whispered into my right ear "But you'll still be buying it when it's released". I love this album already.

One Louder seems to be stalking Sigur Rós at the moment, and has provided such information as the English translations for the titles of the new Sigur Rós songs on Takk:-

1. "Takk" = Thanks
2. "Glósóli" = Glowsun
3. "Hoppípolla" = Hopping into Puddles
4. "Med Blódnasir" = I've Got a Nosebleed
5. "Sé Lest" = I See a Train
6. "Sæglópur" = Lost at Sea
7. "Mílanó" = Milan
8. "Gong" = Gong
9. "Andvari" = Zephyr
10. "Svo Hljótt" = So Quietly
11. "Heysátan" = The Haystack

Sigur Ros are launching a new official site, www.sigur-ros.is on August 15.

If you want to hear more, check out the band’s current web page for a huge selection of mp3’s.


Sigur Rós - Von from von

Sigur Rós - Staralfur from ágætis byrjun

Sigur Rós - untitled #4 (aka. njósnavélin/the nothing song) from ()

Sigur Rós - Glósóli from takk

Sigur Rós - Sæglópur from takk

1 Comments:

Blogger JC said...

I can't wait until "Takk" comes out. I haven't been this excited about a new album in a long, long time. A few of my friends and I drove from central Oklahoma all the way to Denver, Colorado to see Sigur Ros at the Ogden Theatre in November of 2002. It remains the absolute best live performance I have ever seen in my 43 years on this planet. I hope to see them again soon.

Fri Aug 26, 04:50:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home